To open a catering business you need to have certain attributes as an individual. Time management is very important in any food service business. Having food prepared and leave the kitchen in a timely manner is a must. This type of service must be consistent. Therefore you should be a very organized person to become a caterer. To be able to work well under pressure is also an asset. If something goes wrong in the kitchen and you have to start four meals again from scratch remaining calm is key. Communication skills are expected as well, as you will be dealing with suppliers, clients and if applicable coordinating your team.
A good process to go through to determine whether opening a catering business would be a good idea would to answer these questions. Once you have all the questions answers you could see whether it is something you should really consider doing.
● Ask yourself how passionate you are about food. Is it so much so that you could see yourself working around food for the foreseeable future?
● Are your food skills good enough to serve to the public? Would members of the public be tempted by the food you serve?
● Are you quite sure your skills are good enough that you would have returning customers?
● Do you have any business acumen? If not would you be willing to take some short courses that cover the basics and mean you could comply with the laws that surround running your own business.
● Do you have the personal attributes an individual would need to run their own business?
● Are you organized with your time?
● Can you communicate well with others?
● Do you have any experience in the catering industry?
● Can you sell your services?